- The Ethics of Learning Analytics in Australian Higher Education
Apr 25, 2019.
- Stellenbosch University responds to furore over coloured women 'low cognitive' risk study
Apr 25, 2019.
- Few SA youths go to varsity compared to those in Brics countries
Apr 25, 2019.
- A People’s Water Charter for South Africa
Apr 25, 2019.
- Appetite for dignity
Apr 25, 2019.
- Promising Practice Case Study - General Education at DUT
Apr 25, 2019.
- Outrage over Maties study on coloured women's 'intelligence'
Apr 23, 2019.
- Student Support through Success Tutoring at the University of the Witwatersrand
Apr 10, 2019.
- Creating Pathways for Student Success - UFS
Apr 04, 2019.
- Teaching for Change: An African Philosophical Approach
Apr 02, 2019.
- Seeing Theory
Mar 28, 2019.
- Achieving the Dream Vice President Acknowledged for Contributions to Higher Education
Mar 28, 2019.
- New Pretoria University Vice-Chancellor, Tawana Kupe, has Pan-African dreams for higher education
Mar 28, 2019.
- 5 Reasons Why Low-Residency is the Future of Higher Ed Employment
Mar 28, 2019.
- CMCC faculty and staff participate in group activity ‘Game On!’
Mar 28, 2019.
- Flipped classroom approach (byte size video)
Mar 28, 2019.
- Engaging Quiet Students in the College Classroom
Mar 27, 2019.
- Integrating Big Data Into The Monitoring and Evaluation of Development Programmes
Mar 26, 2019.
- Racism does exist at UCT, commission finds
Mar 20, 2019.
- Online Course Design Rubrics
Mar 19, 2019.
- Why SA will battle to provide free tertiary education
Mar 13, 2019.
- Horizons Report - Emerging Technologies and the Mental Health Challenge
Mar 13, 2019.
- Digital Leadership Report Highlights Progress in Universities
Mar 09, 2019.
- The degrees that pay the highest salaries in South Africa
Feb 26, 2019.
- Reframing the Conversation about OER
Feb 21, 2019.
- Budget Speech 2019: This is how much was earmarked for free tertiary education
Feb 21, 2019.
- Minister defends HE fee policy against World Bank report
Feb 20, 2019.
- The Truth About Student Success: Myths, Realities, and 30 Practices That Are Working
Feb 14, 2019.
- Classes cancelled at Tshwane's TUT colleges as protests spread
Feb 14, 2019.
- Community Colleges Rise to the Challenge of Supporting Diverse Learners
Feb 14, 2019.
- It's about the Gateway Courses: Defining & Contextualising the Issue
Feb 14, 2019.
- More Calls for Female Participation in STEM
Feb 12, 2019.
- Humanities Students Could Lose Out On Government Funding
Feb 10, 2019.
- Six South African Universities make top 100 Among-Emerging Economies
Feb 07, 2019.
- University of Minnesota announces new partnership with African Institute for Mathematical Sciences
Feb 06, 2019.
- SPU welcomes biggest 1st-entering class
Feb 06, 2019.
- Massive Open Online Courses(MOOC) market scrutinized in new industry reports
Feb 04, 2019.
- NSFAS applicants accuse funder of unfairly declining applications
Jan 30, 2019.
- South Africa Economic Update: Increasing South Africa’s Tertiary Enrollment Requires Rebalancing Resources
Jan 22, 2019.
- Enhancing the curriculum with learning analytics
Jan 22, 2019.
- Four-Dimensional Education – The Competencies Learners Need to Succeed (presented by Charles Fadel)
Jan 15, 2019.
- What South Africa’s matric pass rate means for universities
Jan 07, 2019.
- Universities headed for a perfect storm (#Matric2018)
Jan 07, 2019.
- An ode to the teacher-led writing classroom
Jan 03, 2019.
- The 21st-Century Academic
Jan 02, 2019.
- Student Pathways in South Africa
Dec 13, 2018. An article in the Intnl Higher Educ Journal by Rebecca Schendel, a lecturer in education and international development at the Institute of Education, University College London, UK.
- Toward Operational Excellence at Student Success: Double-Loop Learning
Dec 13, 2018.
- Mr Nice Guy with a big mission : UP's new VC speaks about his new job.
Dec 13, 2018.
- Reflecting on 2018, and (Tentatively) Projecting the Future
Dec 12, 2018. A new online institution, a transforming textbook market, shifting landscapes for MOOCs and alternative credentials, increasing interest in mobile, and more. Experts make sense of a convoluted year.
- Designing people-centred solutions
Dec 11, 2018. Human-centred solutions to issues in the education sector were in the spotlight at the launch of the Hasso Plattner Institute of Design Thinking’s (d-school) fourth annual Design Thinking Week.
- Should SA universities participate in global rankings systems?
Dec 11, 2018.
- How Is Higher Ed Helping To Close The Global Knowledge Gap?
Dec 10, 2018.
- Enhancing access to education for all
Dec 10, 2018. A recent report, "All Around the World – Higher education equity policies across the globe," released at the WAHED conference in the United Kingdom, involved a survey of over 71 countries and 8 international orgs.
- Naledi Pandor - 'Work Has to Go On, the Nation Has to Continue to Exist'
Dec 10, 2018.
- Teaching the Students We Have, Not the Students We Wish We Had
Dec 10, 2018.
- How One University Uses ‘Sneaky Learning’ to Help Students Develop Good Study Habits
Dec 06, 2018.
- Skills not Research
Dec 03, 2018.
- Universities link into a common good
Nov 30, 2018. A new global network and digital creative space promotes social innovation projects with citizens.
- #TheModiseNetwork: State of Higher Education in SA – Part 1
Oct 22, 2018.
- Cloud Based Student Success Strategies
Oct 22, 2018.
- #FeesMustFall activist Fasiha Hassan on winning the Student Peace Prize
Oct 22, 2018.
- Race on Campus: Debunking Myths with Data
Oct 19, 2018. Julie J. Park argues that there are surprisingly pervasive and stubborn myths about diversity on college and university campuses, and that these myths obscure the notable significance and admirable effects that diversity has had on campus l
- Universities making campuses safer after 47 rapes in 2017
Oct 19, 2018. South African universities are taking steps to make campuses safer for female students, after Higher Education and Training Minister Naledi Pandor named the HE institutions at which incidents of rape or sexual assault had occurred in 2017.
- Questions academics can ask to decolonise their classrooms.
Oct 19, 2018.
- STUDENT FUNDING AND STUDENT SUCCESS: A CASE STUDY OF A SOUTH AFRICAN UNIVERSITY
Oct 19, 2018.
- The university is not a factory
Oct 19, 2018.
- Funding Research-Intensive Universities Should be a National Priority
Oct 19, 2018.
- Rethinking university rankings: we need to talk about quality (and inequality) of teaching
Oct 19, 2018.
- The Promise and Peril of Predictive Analytics in Higher Education A Landscape Analysis
Oct 19, 2018.
- Predictive Analytics in Higher Education : Five Guiding Practices for Ethical Use
Oct 19, 2018.
- Choosing a Predictive Analytics Vendor: A Guide for Colleges
Oct 19, 2018.
- Ten Facts About Learning Analytics
Oct 17, 2018.
- South Africa: Deputy Minister Buti Manamela - Decolonising Knowledge, Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
Oct 15, 2018.
- Universities should address demand for blockchain skills
Oct 12, 2018. Calls are mounting for African universities to keep pace with the world’s top 50 higher education institutions in offering more courses to harness the power of blockchain-based innovation, which could also support university administration.
- Misbehaving: The Making of Behavioral Economics
Oct 10, 2018. Richard H. Thaler has spent his career studying the radical notion that the central agents in the economy are humans―predictable, error-prone individuals. Misbehaving is an arresting account to change the way we think about economics.
- Exam Proctoring for Online Students Hasn't Yet Transformed
Oct 10, 2018. Remote proctoring and other tech-enabled solutions dominate discussion, but quite a few online students still take exams face-to-face -- posing logistical challenges for them and their institutions alike.
- Towards a sustainable knowledge distribution system
Oct 05, 2018.
- Let's Transform Work
Oct 03, 2018. A report, published by the Hans Böckler Foundation (HBS), on the recommendations of the “Commission on the Work of the Future” which comprise 55 thought-provoking impulses
- Student Engagement : Lather, Rinse, Repeat
Aug 24, 2018. Using retrieval practices as a method to engage students
- Focus on food insecurity at Stellenbosch University
Aug 24, 2018. The Vouch4US initiative of SU encourages the public to purchase and donate retails vouchers, which are then distributed to students for the purpose of purchasing food, medication and other much-needed necessities.
- SU students take on the #Move4Food challenge!
Aug 24, 2018. Maties are taking on the challenge to support their fellow students in the #Move4Food campaign to end student hunger at Stellenbosch University.
- Teaching for Meaning and Purpose
Aug 24, 2018.
- Design Thinking for Leading and Learning | MITx on edX
Aug 24, 2018. A hands-on course for education leaders to learn about design thinking and explore how it can transform classroom learning.
- Data analytics as key to student success
Aug 23, 2018. Improving student success and completion in higher-education institutions through gathering, analysing and organising data BY FRANCOIS STRYDOM AND SONJA LOOTS
- NSFAS board dissolved as Carolissen steps in
Aug 21, 2018.
- Students Struggling to make ends meet
Aug 18, 2018. Dr Stephen Devereux, from the Centre of Excellence in Food Security at the University of the Western Cape, says more than 30% of students are food insecure compared with 26% of the population
- A Review of Multimodal Learning Analytics Architectures
Aug 17, 2018. This paper summarizes the state of the art of MMLA software architectures through a systematic literature review. The analysis of nine architecture proposals highlights the uneven support provided by existing architectures.
- Supporting Student Success: Focus on Early Alert
Aug 17, 2018. Learn about current efforts at Mason to assist undergraduate students who are struggling to persist and discuss how faculty can partner with administrators to support student success.
- Engaging Students as Participants and Partners: An Argument for Partnership with Students in Higher Education Research on Student Success
Aug 17, 2018.
- Dispelling the concerns around utilizing remote proctoring systems
Aug 17, 2018. As online learning continues to grow, the integrity of student exams is called into question. If done correctly, remote proctoring can be an effective solution.
- Improving Blended Learning in Higher Education Through the Synergy between Learning Design and Learning Analytics
Aug 13, 2018. This paper contributes with a literature review that aims at providing an answer to the question of whether students are benefitting from the use of ICT.
- 60 Seconds For Student Success video series
Aug 11, 2018. Niagara County Community College students share tips for student success
- #TonightWithJaneDutton : NSFAS in crisis
Aug 10, 2018. Allegations of corruption, massive historical debt and backlogs are dogging the sector. Higher Education Minister, Naledi Pandor, is vowing to fix it all. Courtesy #dstv403
- What is the state of academia in South Africa today?
Aug 08, 2018. The premature and heartbreaking death of a globally accomplished scientist brings an opportune moment for real, meaningful contemplation, as well as curative action, albeit in the scholarly domain.
- NSFAS chair Sizwe Nxasana resigns after ‘extreme strain’ on the payments system
Aug 08, 2018.
- Academic Advising and the Learning Effectiveness Program
Aug 02, 2018.
- The Data Imaginary: Six Reasons Why Data Analytics Have Become So Powerful
Jul 23, 2018. A blog post by Dave Beer who draws on his new book and outlines six ways in which the industry presents a series of problems and inadequacies to which data analytics are offered as the solution.
- World Development Report 2018 : Learning to Realize Education's Promise
Jul 23, 2018. An abstract of the WDR report which can be found here: https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/bitstream/handle/10986/28340/9781464810961.pdf?sequence=68&isAllowed=y
- Giving Data Meaning: Students Should Have A Say In What Analytics Tell You About Them
Jul 23, 2018. An article by Leif Nelson (@leifnelson) Director of Learning Technology Solutions at Boise State University and Timothy D. Harfield (@timothyharfield) Senior Product Marketing Manager for Analytics at Blackboard Inc.
- Why is Innovation in Teaching in Higher Education so Difficult? 2. Legacy systems
Jul 23, 2018. A second piece by Tony Bates on the issue of Innovation in Higher Education.
- Food Insecurity Amongst College Students
Jul 19, 2018.
- Radar Case Study - NMU
Jul 19, 2018. A Case Study of Nelson Mandela University's development of their student monitoring and tracking system.
- Decolonizing Sociology
Jul 19, 2018. A journal paper which investigates what is involved in decolonizing the discipline of sociology.
- Is the academy too close to Silicon Valley?
Jul 19, 2018. David Matthews reports on whether joint positions in industry and academia could offer a workable and ethically defensible way forward.
- New Strategies and Technologies for Advising
Jul 19, 2018. A special report on how colleges are using new masses of data to help their students thrive.
- Emotional Intelligence and Post-Secondary Education: What Have We Learned and What Have We Missed?
Jul 19, 2018.
- A Review on Educational Data Mining Approaches with its Uses and Applications
Jul 13, 2018. This paper organizes a review to the education data mining and the research work that has been done in this domain during last years
- Decolonised spaces must be given room
Jul 13, 2018. Shose Kessi's edited extract from her essay: Engaged Scholarship: Bridging the Gap Between Academia, Activism and Lived Experience, in At the Foot of the Volcano: Reflections on Teaching at a South African University .
- Parental Support Key to Student Success
Jul 11, 2018. Family emotional support for low-income first-year students is free, and a new study shows that it has a greater impact on student outcomes than family financial support.
- Pandor: Govt, Private Sector Partnerships Will Benefit Students
Jul 11, 2018.
- Engaging and retaining students through video capture
Jul 06, 2018. An article by Linda Storey who is a director at Echo360, a video platform that promotes active video-based learning.
- Has teaching in higher education become redundant?
Jul 06, 2018.
- When Your Course Suddenly Needs an Overhaul
Jul 05, 2018.
- Student Needs Have Changed. Advising Must Change, Too.
Jul 02, 2018. An article in the Chronicle of Higher Education which holds that the days of simply helping students register for classes and pick a major are over. New strategies and technologies are aimed at improving retention and graduation rates.
- Why Are We Still Personalizing Learning If It’s Not Personal?
Jul 02, 2018. An article which interrogates the notion of personalised learning
- Siyaphumelela SWOT analysis - June 2018
Jun 29, 2018.
- Modern dashboards: The way forward in tracking high risk modules
Jun 27, 2018. Thabang Lenono Joseph Sekopa DIRAP: Institutional Information Systems University of the Free State South Africa
- Optimising Academic Programmes using Bayesian Networks
Jun 27, 2018. Gabriel de Wet Alta de Waal
- Design Thinking Studio Workshop
Jun 27, 2018. Sukhwant Jhaj Vice Provost, Portland State University
- How Engaged are Our Students? Using Analytics to Identify Students At-risk
Jun 25, 2018. Tony Williams, Jason Morton, Peter Kilgour, Maria Northcote, Avondale College of Higher Education, Australia
- Meeting basic needs – A first step to student success
Jun 22, 2018.
- Evaluating a mission statement through use of quantitative data
Jun 18, 2018. Riashna Sithaldeen1, J Henry2, E van Pletzen1 1Academic Development Programme, CHED, UCT 2Institutional Planning and Development, UCT
- Creating Pathways for Student Success
Jun 16, 2018. A University of Free State publication on academic advising and student success
- Improving the Quality of Learning in a Blended Learning Environment for First-Year Biology (UP)
Jun 15, 2018. Presented at Siya2018 Angelique Kritzinger, JuanClaude Lemmens Marietjie Potgieter, University of Pretoria, South Africa June 2018
- Using data to evaluate the application of a short-time, high-intensity teaching programme and promotion rule on student success (UP)
Jun 15, 2018. Prof DE Holm & Dr C Steyn* email@example.com
- Using cohort performance data to explore inclusive design of a medical curriculum for a diverse student body
Jun 15, 2018. Ermien van Pletzen, Jane Hendry, Elmi Badenhorst, Busayo Ige, Riashna Sithaldeen University of Cape Town: Academic Development Programme (Centre for Higher Education Development), Institutional Planning Department, Department of Health Sci
- How do students finance their studies? A student indebtedness study at the University of Cape Town
Jun 15, 2018. Nicola Branson presents at Siya 2018
- After revised admissions policy: An academic advisor’s extrapolation of the achievements, challenges and critical lessons (Wits)
Jun 15, 2018. Constance Khupe
- Facilitators’ experiences regarding the extended curriculum programme: A case study of the Durban University of Technology
Jun 15, 2018. Nokuthula Sibiya & Hazel Mahlanze
- Siyaphumelela Conference: Students Are Hungry
Jun 14, 2018. An article by Phatha Lvhengo describing the student input at the Siyaphumelela which reveal that large segments of the student population are struggling because they have no food.
- SA university students often go hungry
Jun 14, 2018.
- Funding is a major barrier to academic success
Jun 14, 2018. A podcast of an interview with Saide's Jenny Glennie at the Siyaphumelela Conference 2018
- Compulsory Versus Voluntary Student Success Interventions (Wits)
Jun 14, 2018. Presentation delivered by Danie De Klerk et al
- Using statistical models to predict second year mathematics and physics success (UP)
Jun 14, 2018. Dr Lizelle Fletcher Department of Statistics University of Pretoria
- Bridging the Gap’ through the Academic Development Programme in the Faculty of Health Sciences at The Durban University of Technology
Jun 14, 2018. Nerolen Soobryan and Professor Nokuthula Sibiya Department of Academic Development
- The role of academic and social integration in student success - A case study of the Durban University of Technology
Jun 14, 2018. Kudayja Parker, Andrea Alcock, Kaila Cavanagh
- Opportunities for Responding to Student Learning Needs Through Institutional Leadership, Institutional Design and Basic Student Support
Jun 13, 2018. Prof Yunus Ballim's Keynote at Siyaphumelela Conference 2018 on 13th June 2018
- Access Isn't Enough: Redefining Success in Higher Education
Jun 13, 2018. Dr Kim Wilcox's keynote at Siyaphumelela Conference 2018
- Higher Education Minister Naledi Pandor Announces Full-Cost Bursary Scheme
Jun 13, 2018.
- Academic Advising: A Pathway To Success? The University of the Free State Case.
Jun 13, 2018. Siyaphumelela Partner Initiative: UFS's presentation delivered by UFS regarding their progress at the Siyahumelela Conference 2018
- Nudging Students to Graduate on Time!
Jun 13, 2018. Juan-Claude Lemmens and Esther Mphanda Unit for Higher Education Research and Innovation Department for Education Innovation 13 June 2018
- Academic Programme Viability Model
Jun 13, 2018. NMU workshop
- Lessons for the field: Using 10 years of student engagement data to help design universities for success (UFS)
Jun 13, 2018. Francois Strydom and Sonja Loots
- The Complexities of Instituting Academic Advising in the Faculty of Health Sciences: An educational perspective
Jun 13, 2018. Ntsiki Mapukata, Office of Student Support
- Student Data for Student Success: Reading between the Lines
Jun 13, 2018. Refilwe Matsie; Zitsile Khumalo
- Securing Students’ Basic Needs to Ensure All Students Succeed
Jun 13, 2018. Prof Sara Goldrick-Rab's Keynote address at #Siya2018
- Learning Design With Technology
Jun 13, 2018. Prof. Alan Amorys Keynote presentation at the Siyaphumelela Conference 2018
- Pandor about new DHET bursary scheme
Jun 12, 2018. Minister of Higher Education and Training (DHET), Naledi Pandor, keynote highlights atthe Siyaphumelela conference 2018
- Pandor Highlights Funding as Barrier to Student Success
Jun 12, 2018. South Africa's Higher Education and Training Minister Naledi Pandor at the Siyaphumelela conference , highlighted student funding as a major barrier to student success and announced a full-cost bursary scheme.
- Naledi Pandor: TVET Colleges Are Key To Our Future
Jun 12, 2018. The minister of higher education and training Naledi Pandor says that the her department will continue to work towards refreshing and diversifying in order to respond to the needs of students.
- Supporting Student Success - Minister Pandor Keynote
Jun 12, 2018. Transcript of Minister Pandors keynote at Siyaphumelela Conference 2018 on 12th June 2018
- Securing Basic Needs to Ensure All College Students Succeed
Jun 12, 2018. Prof Sara Goldrick-Rab's keynote address at the 2018 Siyaphumelela Conference on the 12th June 2018
- Enablers and Barriers to Student Access National Baseline Survey on Articulation
Jun 12, 2018.
- Special Issue on Educational Big Data and Learning Analytics
Jun 05, 2018. The purpose of this special issue is to place an emphasis on the design, development and evaluation of LA using Educational Big Data.
- “Design thinking” Can Prepare Graduates For The Real Working World
May 30, 2018. Authored by Rael Futerman from UCT, this article describes the new approach to problem solving that is all the rage in Higher Education circles currently.
May 30, 2018. A Civitas resource aimed at institutions to take timely, precise action to impact student success.
- Universities Study Influence of High School Maths on Tertiary Success
May 23, 2018.
- From Visual To Verbal – There’s More Than One Way To Understand Maths
May 23, 2018.
- Tertiary Focus on Technology Revolution
May 20, 2018. Higher Education Minister Naledi Pandor says the so-called fourth industrial revolution is one of the priorities in her new portfolio.
- Tools for Taking Action - Design Thinking Resources from Standfords D School
May 19, 2018.
- Georgia State, Leading U.S. in Black Graduates, Is Engine of Social Mobility
May 15, 2018. Georgia State, once seen as a night school for white businessmen, has reshaped itself amid a moral awakening and a raft of data-driven experimentation.
- How Design Thinking Can Help Teachers Collaborate
May 08, 2018.
- What Happens When You Put African Philosophies At The Centre Of Learning
May 08, 2018.
- No Tidy Truths in the Post Colony
Apr 26, 2018. A comment piece summarising the recent public discussion organised by the Center for Conflict Resolution on the #FeesMustFall and decolonisation campaign.
- OUHK - Critical Dimensions for Maximizing Impact of Learning Analytics
Apr 26, 2018. A video presentation of Professor Dragan Gašević, Professor and Chair in Learning Analytics and Informatics at the University of Edinburgh who explores the growing use of learning analytics in higher education.
- Maybe Not So 'High Impact'?
Apr 25, 2018. Researchers challenge conventional wisdom and past studies linking widely promoted educational experiences to timely college completion.
- Analytics for Action: Using Data Analytics to Support Students in Improving Their Learning Outcomes
Apr 25, 2018.
- The Past, Present, and Future of Learning Analytics
Apr 25, 2018. This paper explores the LA landscape, delving into the delving into the definitions, techniques, challenges, and lessons learned.
- The Envisioning Report for Empowering Universities, 2nd Edition, April 2018
Apr 25, 2018. This report by the EMPOWER programme established by the European Association of Distance Teaching Universities focuses on learning analytics, blended learning , student support and CPD.
- Learning Analytics in Higher Education
Apr 25, 2018. This book provides a foundational understanding of how learning analytics is defined, what barriers & opportunities exist, and how it can be used to improve practice, including strategic planning, course development, teaching pedagogy etc.
- Survey: Higher Ed Leaders Prioritize Institutional Analytics over Learning Analytics
Apr 23, 2018. A survey released by Ellucian found that a majority of universities are investing in data analytics programs to improve operational efficiency.
- Data USA Adds More Than 7,300 Profiles of Higher Education Institutions to Visualization Platform
Apr 23, 2018. New profiles on Data USA makes it easier for comparing higher education institutions in demographics, financial aid and operating costs
- Want Students Focused on the Pursuit of Knowledge? Stop Making Them Chase Information.
Apr 22, 2018. An opinion piece by the vice president of Ellucian on the issue of integrated analytics.
- The Impact of Positive Psychology on Higher Education
Apr 21, 2018. This paper examines the dynamics of higher education, defines positive psychology, discusses various approaches to student success, and evaluates the benefits of positive psychology on student engagement and institutional effectiveness.
- To Better Advise Students, Colleges Must Get Past the ‘Quick-Fix’ Metrics Solution
Apr 20, 2018. An opinion piece on academic advising.
- Dissecting a Glowing Report on Online Learning
Apr 18, 2018. Arizona State's report on digital learning draws cheers from online proponents -- and a few raised eyebrows from those who think the future is more complicated and warrants broader research.
Apr 09, 2018. A blog post about SALDRU's new project Siyaphambili which builds on the work of Siyaphumelela.
- Sukhwant Jhaj : Redesigning Higher Education With The Student At the Center
Apr 09, 2018.
- 4 Ideas for Avoiding Faculty Burnout
Apr 04, 2018. A blog post on faculty exhaustion and strategies to overcome this.
- Going to University- The Influence of Higher Education on the Lives of Young South Africans
Mar 27, 2018. A ebook describing a study based on 73 interviews six years after they first enrolled as students with their narratives allowing for an examination of the impact of broader structural constraints & cultural &social conditions in HEd.
- Three Reasons Academic Advisors Should Be a Go-To Resource for Student Success Efforts
Mar 26, 2018. A blog post describing the importance of academic advisors and includes Twitter handles to follow on the issue of advising for student success.
- Uplifting HBCUs As Models of Student Success
Mar 26, 2018. A news article commenting on how the academic success of black students from historically black colleges and universities in the USA are ignored by the media.
- Learning Analytics for the Global South
Mar 08, 2018. A downloadable collection which considers how the use of data about learners and their contexts have the potential to broaden access to quality education and improve the efficiency of educational processes and systems.
- Special Report: Missing skills: Is Higher Education On The Mark?
Mar 06, 2018. This report on the Malaysian higher education system which examines the skills shortage and describes the Malaysia Education Blueprint 2015-2025 (Higher Education) outlining 10 shifts that are designed to transform the higher education.
- How Class and Social Capital Affect University Students
Mar 06, 2018. This is an edited abstract from “Going to University: The influence of Higher Education on the lives of young South Africans” (2018) Case, J., Marshall, D., McKenna, S. & Mogashana, D. African Minds.
- To What Extent and Under Which Circumstances Are Growth Mind-Sets Important to Academic Achievement? Two Meta-Analyses
Mar 05, 2018. The studies examined the relationship between mind-set and the effectiveness of mind-set interventions on academic achievement and potential moderating factors and concludes that the effect is weak.
- Data Scientists in Demand
Mar 04, 2018. A 'Premium content' article from the Chronicle of Higher Education which describes the skill of data analytics as being one that is in high demand.
- The 2018 Trends Report
Mar 04, 2018. The report describes 10 key shifts in higher education that innovative college leaders are responding to in imaginative ways.
- Fee-Free Education Isn’t Enough
Mar 02, 2018. An opinion piece by Thashlin Govender from the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation in South Africa exhorting funders to continue supporting students for university completion.
- Without Addressing Basic Needs, Student Success Strategies Fall Short
Feb 23, 2018. An article describing the student success initiatives aimed at presented at the Achieving the Dream conference that took place in Nashville in February 2018.
- Predicting student retention at community colleges
Feb 20, 2018. A report describing student satisfaction and the importance of college environment variables as predictors of spring-to-spring retention.
- Building Capacity in Institutional Research in South Africa
Feb 06, 2018. Part of the Knowledge Studies in Higher Education book series , this chapter by Yuraisha Chetty and Nicole Muller foregrounds the necessity of enhancing current skills, competencies & mindsets of institutional researchers at SA universities
- Integrated Student Support Redesign Toolkit
Jan 31, 2018. A toolkit for redesigning advising and student services to effectively support every student.
- Chapter 4 Using Twitter as a Data Source: An Overview of Ethical, Legal, & Methodological Challenges.
Jan 29, 2018. An open source publication outlining a number of Twitter-specific research case studies, and highlight the challenges that may arise in research projects using social media data.
- Figuring the future : From the geographies, materialities and cultures of rural South Africa to the technocracy & continuing coloniality of higher education.
Jan 24, 2018. This paper draws on an on-going SARiHE study of rural students’ transitions to and trajectories through higher education at three universities in South Africa. The paper situates the study in the wider political landscape...
- License to evaluate: Preparing learning analytics dashboards for educational practice
Jan 24, 2018. In this systematic literature review, the authors analyse the extent to which theories and models from learning sciences have been integrated into the development of learning dashboards aimed at learners.
- The changing idea of higher education.
Jan 20, 2018. The article illustrates that the idea of higher education is contextual and changeable, thus contested over time & aims to present and analyse some of the most prominent changes in the idea of HE in the last three decades.
- Guidelines on the Ethical Use of Student Data: A Narrative Framework
Jan 19, 2018. A framework aimed at considering the different aspects and proposed guiding principles as basis for developing context-appropriate ethical approaches to the use of student data.
- Ethical use of Analytics in South African Higher Education
Jan 19, 2018. A narrative report describing the processes involved in the development of the guidelines on the ethical use of student data.
- Ethical use of student data: narrative, guidelines and templates
Jan 19, 2018. The zip includes Guidelines on the Ethical Use of Student Data: A Narrative Framework, Ethical use of analytics in South African education, and assocaited policy templates
- An early alert feedback system in learning
Dec 30, 2017. This paper highlights flaws identified in some existing feedback scenarios, discusses the development of an electronic feedback system, and explains how its implementation can keep students informed on their progress from an early stage...
- Cross-Organizational Information Systems: A Case for Educational Data Mining
Dec 19, 2017. An article on research project work which aims to design a framework for the cross-organizational information system for assessment and decision making using machine learning with the emphasis on the educational sector.
- Education, Training and Work under Neoliberalism in South Africa: Toward Alternatives
Dec 18, 2017. This article conceptualises the overall relationship between a democratic society, socially useful labour and its implications for education and training and unemployment, particularly youth unemployment.
- The Potential of MOOCs for Learning at Scale in the Global South
Dec 15, 2017. This paper explores the relationship between the MOOC phenomenon and the context of global HE before examining the possibility of achieving equity, quality and efficiency in online higher education at scale.
- Big Brother set to watch each pupil
Dec 11, 2017. This article casts a spotlight on Operation Phakisa for Education (OPE), an implementation model to fast-track education technology into the public school system which may also serve other aims such as electronic surveillance.
- Rethinking course structure: increased participation and persistence in introductory post-secondary mathematics courses
Dec 08, 2017. In this article, the authors describe the implementation of a modified course structure in a first-year undergraduate mathematics course which makes use of a combination of mastery learning strategies together with small class sizes.
- Guiding Early and Often: Using Curricular and Learning Analytics to Shape Teaching, Learning, and Student Success in Gateway Courses
Dec 06, 2017. This chapter provides information on how the promise of analytics can be realized in gateway courses through a combination of good data science and the thoughtful application of outcomes to teaching and learning improvement efforts.
- Engaging Students: Using Evidence to Promote Student Success
Dec 05, 2017. The first comprehensive manuscript on research into student engagement in South African higher education. Each of the chapters has a clear, distinguishable focus and makes an original contribution in and of itself.
- Operation Phakisa Education: Why a secret? Mass surveillance, inequality and race..
Dec 04, 2017. This paper investigates several human rights concerns with respect to the South African government’s secretive plan to transform basic education, Operation Phakisa Education
- 12 higher education trends to empower student success in 2018
Nov 28, 2017. Student success is set to be a big focus for 2018 in higher education. Unit4’s Otmar Zewald outlines 12 trends that will empower students to achieve more
- Would Public Universities Benefit From a Central Innovation Unit?
Nov 26, 2017. Steven Mintz, a Professor of History at the University of Texas at Austin, and prev Executive Director of the UT System's Institute for Transformational Learning argues for an internal structure in forging ahead.
- What I heard, what I did not hear and what I wish I had heard…
Nov 21, 2017. Paul Prinsloo reflects on the Reflections on the World Conference on Online Learning, Toronto, 2017
- How to find viable alternatives for tertiary funding
Nov 19, 2017. New Higher Education Minister Hlengiwe Mkhize, expresses her awareness of the urgent need to deal with the tertiary funding problems plaguing the country.
- Do girls do better than boys at school & university?
Nov 12, 2017. A blog post by Nic Spaull on the Sunday Time article based on a Working Paper co-authored with Hendrik van Broekhuizen. The full PDF of the article is provided in a link in the blog.
- All around the world – Higher education equity policies across the globe
Nov 08, 2017.
- The Road to Success : A case study by the University of the Witwatersrand
Nov 07, 2017.
- How to keep up with new technology in online learning
Nov 07, 2017. Tony Bates write about deciding on the best choice / appropriate educational media and references his SECTIONS model approach.
- How "Small Data" Can Address the Limitations of Predictive Analytics
Nov 07, 2017. In this blog, Ioakim the author , summarizes some promises and limitations of using “big data”—and describes how universities can use “small data” to broaden and apply their big data findings.
- A Data Paradox
Nov 02, 2017. Tech companies, with more data than ever before, struggle with strategic and ethical issues about using that information
- EDUCAUSE 2018 'IT issues' forecast highlights need for institutional change in higher education
Nov 02, 2017. Latest "Top 10 IT Issues" list reinforces the importance of institutional and IT adaptiveness and for using data to strengthen student outcomes.
- Invasive or Informative? Educators Discuss Pros and Cons of Learning Analytics
Nov 01, 2017. Faculty at the University of California at Berkeley ask questions about the and share lessons learned with learning analytics.
- Excelsior Online Writing Lab (OWL) Information video for Learners
Oct 28, 2017.
- Connecting Learning Design and Learning Analytics (Preface)
Oct 16, 2017. Full text of preface of special issue which brings together 8 papers proposing approaches and discussing concerns that illustrate the benefits and challenges of the alignment between learning design and analytics.
- Introduction: Pedagogy in Analytics and Data Science
Oct 16, 2017. A summary of the work initiated at ICIS 2015 conference on “Exploring the Information Frontier” which focussed on topics such as curriculum development, pedagogical innovation, and use of analytics software in the classroom
- Khanya College: a South African story of decolonisation
Oct 10, 2017. The vision and successes of the tertiary college, now an NGO, which served as a bridging platform for black students during apartheid.Served to empower students through an African and global curriculum and critical thinking.
- Learning Analytics: at the Nexus of Big Data, Digital Innovation, and Social Justice in Education
Oct 10, 2017. This commentary describes how learning analytics has the potential to contribute to more equitable and socially just educational outcomes for students who might otherwise be seen through the lens of the average student.
- Teaching & Learning in the Digital Age: A New Understanding of Quality
Oct 04, 2017. An Insight report published by Contact North in Canada and offered in advance of the World Conference on Online Learning.
- How Communities of Inquiry Drive Teaching and Learning in the Digital Age.
Oct 04, 2017. An Insight report published by Contact North in Canada and offered in advance of the World Conference on Online Learning.
- Colleges use job-market data to shape curriculum
Sep 11, 2017. Community colleges use data gathered from online job listings to develop more programmes geared toward getting students ready for the workforce.
- National Guidelines for Improving Student Outcomes in Online Learning
Sep 07, 2017. This paper is taken from a research project report published by the National Centre for Student Equity in Higher Education (NCSEHE) in March 2017. For full details see the complete report at: http://bit.ly/2zcgNpF
- World Free Scholarships and Grants Portal
Aug 28, 2017.
- THE LEARNING ANALYTICS REPORT CARD
Aug 21, 2017. This project asks: ‘How can University teaching teams develop critical and participatory approaches to educational data analysis?’ It seeks to develop ways of involving students as research partners and active participants in their own data
- Over half of SA students feel unprepared for tertiary education
Aug 21, 2017. A news article reporting on the The 2017 PPS Student Confidence Index (SCI) survey which reveals that less than half of respondents felt prepared for the transition from secondary to HEd.
- Why Open Data matters in Higher Education
Aug 16, 2017. A blog post advocating for Universities to to embrace the potential transformational power of Open Data.
- Mining the power of data to boost student success
Aug 11, 2017. A news article reporting on the recent Siyaphumelela conference 2017 held at the Wanderers club in Johannesburg.
- Siyaphumelela Conference 2017 VIDEOS
Jul 25, 2017.
- Interactive Open Educational Resources: A Guide to Finding, Choosing, and Using What’s Out There to Transform College Teaching
Jul 21, 2017. Book review of this guide for HE professionals designed to identify , integrate and assess interactive open educational resources(OERs).
- Data Dive
Jul 19, 2017. Georgia State's extensive predictive analytics efforts are leading to better grades and student retention -- and more minorities graduating from STEM programs
- Summer Melt
Jul 17, 2017. A podcast ( with transcript available) on why students don't show up for college afetr applying to do so.
- The Learning Analytics Roadmap: SOLAR’s Handbook Of Hard Theory [LAR Series #11]
Jul 10, 2017. SOLAR, the Society for Learning Analytics Research, has released the first edition of its “Handbook of Learning Analytics.” A 356-page volume, the handbook aims to provide an “extensive view” from leading experts in the field. Downloadable copy available at : https://solaresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/hla17.pdf
- New Trends on Exploratory Methods for Data Analytics
Jul 05, 2017. In this tutorial, the authors present an excursus over the main methods for exploratory analysis, with a particular focus on example-based methods. They show how different data types require different techniques, and present algorithms that are specifically designed for relational, textual, and graph data
- Learning Analytics Research for LMS Course Design: Two Studies
Jul 05, 2017. Findings from two research studies at scale reveal the implications of learning analytics research for designing courses in learning management systems. Data-driven interventions shine light on our institutional conceptions of learning, who our students are, and our responsibility — or perhaps our willingness — to support students. By focusing the lens of analytics on course design, we may be able to define success in a way that is more intuitive and compelling to faculty and thus facilitates a more scalable approach toward course redesign for improved student success.
- A New System for Student Success Planning
Jul 05, 2017. EAB, a research and technology services company, says the time is right for an enterprise-level “student success management system.” Other vendors wonder what took them so long.
- What-if: Bayesian modelling for student success (UP and WITS).
Jun 29, 2017.
- Undergraduate students' experiences of access and success: (DUT)
Jun 29, 2017. Siyaphumelela Conference 2017, paper presentation in 2nd PM parallel session, Marathon room. Authors/Presenter: Nomkhosi Gama (DUT)
- Inequality in higher education: Using institutional data to investigate questions of access and success
Jun 29, 2017. Siyaphumelela Conference 2017, paper presentation in 2nd PM parallel session, Marathon room. Authors/Presenter: Nichola Branson(SALDRU)
- Student success through access programmes: a success story of the University Preparation Programme in the UFS
Jun 29, 2017. Siyaphumelela Conference 2017, paper presentation in 2nd PM parallel session, Marathon room. Authors/Presenter: Innocent Mangena and Wayne Hen-Boisen(UFS)
- Learning strategies to move the "murky middle" of students in first year biology
Jun 29, 2017. Siyaphumelela Conference 2017, paper presentation in 2nd PM parallel session, Marathon room. Authors/Presenter: Marietjie Potgieter, Angelique Kritzinger and Juan-Claude Lemmens(UP)
- Predicting academic success using logistic regression on biographical data
Jun 29, 2017. Siyaphumelela Conference 2017, paper presentation in 2nd PM parallel session, Boundary room. Authors/Presenter: Innocent Mamvura (WITS)
- Residence Educational Programme (REP): Facilitating Student Learning in DUT Residences
Jun 29, 2017. Siyaphumelela Conference 2017, paper presentation in 2nd PM parallel session, Boundary room. Authors/Presenter: Ntokozo Zulu and Thengani Ngwenya
- Residences also play a role in supporting students in the academic realm
Jun 29, 2017. Siyaphumelela Conference 2017, paper presentation in 2nd PM parallel session, Boundary room. Authors/Presenter: Beverly Willemse (NMU)
- Use of National Data (Workstream Report Back)
Jun 29, 2017. Siyaphumelela Conference 2017: Workstream report back session by Alan Amory and Francois Strydom
- Making the most of a healthy change in education
Jun 29, 2017. Keynote by Dr . Mark Milliron , Civitas Learning Inc. at the 2017 Siyaphumelela Conference.
- Student advising and use of national data : a way forward.
Jun 29, 2017. A report back from the Siyaphumelela workstreams. Presented at the Siyaphumelela Conference 2017 by Prof Alan Amory and Prof Francois Strydom on June 29th .
- Mr. Rip Rapson's Keynote speech 2017
Jun 28, 2017. The Opening Keynote at the 2017 Siyaphumelela Conference.
- Ms Jenny Glennie Welcome Speech 2017
Jun 28, 2017. Saide's Director Jenny Glennie welcomes delegates to the 2017 SIyaphumelela Conference
- The Vaal University of Technology extended programme
Jun 28, 2017. Siyaphumelela Conference 2017, paper presentation in parallel PM session: Boundary Room. Authors: Mathapelo Moletsane
- Finding value in student experience and voice: enhancing student success
Jun 28, 2017. Siyaphumelela Conference 2017, paper presentation in parallel PM session: Boundary Room. Authors: Moxili Masango et al. Wits University
- Transformation from the margins, revealing and constructing co-curriculum for student success at DUT.
Jun 28, 2017. Siyaphumelela Conference 2017, paper presentation in AM parallel session, Boundary room. Authors/Presenters: Fatima Haffajee and Rudi Buys (DUT)
- Designing for success : a UFS perspective
Jun 28, 2017. Siyaphumelela Conference 2017, Institutional Partner presentation. (UFS)
- Making learning and assessment possible in unusual spaces (NMU)
Jun 28, 2017. Siyaphumelela Conference 2017, paper presentation in AM parallel session, Boundary room. Authors/Presenters: Cheryl Foxcroft and Jennifer Winstead (NMU)
- The Psychology of Success: From qualitative therapeutic narratives to quantitative data analytics
Jun 28, 2017. Siyaphumelela Conference 2017, paper presentation in PM parallel session, Boundary room. Authors/Presenter: Dalray Gradidge
- The national benchmark test as a predictor of academic success in a cohort of medical students (WITS)
Jun 28, 2017. Siyaphumelela Conference 2017, paper presentation in AM parallel session, Marathon room. Authors/Presenter: Sfisio Mabizela and Lionel-Green Thompson
- Diagnostic testing of first year students at a University of Technology (MUT)
Jun 28, 2017. Siyaphumelela Conference 2017, paper presentation in AM parallel session, Marathon room. Authors/Presenter: Muntuwenkosi Chilli
- An analysis of high-impact practices at DUT
Jun 28, 2017. Siyaphumelela Conference 2017, paper presentation in PM parallel session, Marathon room. Authors/Presenter: Kudayja Parker
- Providing a face of NMU First Generation Students
Jun 28, 2017. Siyaphumelela Conference 2017, paper presentation in PM parallel session, Marathon room. Authors/Presenter: Ryan Pillay and Qobo Qwaka (NMU)
- Raising the bar : finding a balance between academic challenge and support for first year students
Jun 28, 2017. Siyaphumelela Conference 2017, paper presentation in PM parallel session, Marathon room. Authors/Presenter: Francois Strydom and Sonja Loots
- It takes a village. Considering leadership and innovation towards student success
Jun 28, 2017. Siyaphumelela Conference 2017, Institutional Partner presentation. (DUT)
- Use of data in NMU's success initiatives
Jun 28, 2017. Siyaphumelela Conference 2017, Institutional Partner presentation. (NMU)
- Introduction of a South African use of student data policy
Jun 28, 2017. Keynote by Prof. Paul Prinsloo at the 2017 Siyaphumelela Conference.
- Institutional Capacity Assessment Tool for student success
Jun 28, 2017. Workshop Report back by Prof. Alan Amory and Dr. Jan Lyddon at Siyaphumelela Conference 2017
- Building capacity for student success through the University Capacity Development Programme
Jun 28, 2017. Siyaphumelela Conference 2017, Keynote Dr. Whitfield Green (DHET)
- Getting Ideas into Action Statway and Quantway Networked Improvement Communities
Jun 28, 2017. Siyaphumelela Conference 2017, Keynote by Dr. Bernadine Chuck Fong and Prof. Andre.L. Freeman
- Prof.Norman Duncan UP Panel Presentation 2017
Jun 27, 2017. Panel Presentation delivered at the Siyaphumelela Conference 2017
- Prof. Denise Zinn NMU Panel Presentation 2017
Jun 27, 2017. Panel Presentation delivered at the Siyaphumelela Conference 2017
- Handbook of Learning Analytics – First edition
Jun 04, 2017. A free downloadable book, the Handbook of Learning Analytics is designed to meet the needs of a new and growing field. It aims to balance rigor, quality, open access and breadth of appeal and was devised to be an introduction to the current state of research. The Handbook is a snapshot of the field in 2017 and features a range of prominent authors from the learning analytics and educational data mining research communities.
- 2017 Trends and Technologies: iPASS
May 28, 2017. The focus of this report is the 11 trends and 13 strategic technologies associated with Integrated Planning and Advising for Student Success (iPASS).
- Algorithms:Privacy Risk and Accountability
May 24, 2017. Through academic, policy, and industry circles, making progress on the cluster of issues related to algorithmic accountability has become a leading priority. The inaugural issue of the Future of Privacy Forum’s Privacy Scholarship Reporter provides a clear and compelling look into some of the most worrisome problems and promising solutions.
- Walking the line of predictive analytics in higher education
May 19, 2017. A column from Blackboard addressing the ethical implications of learning analytics. "Predictive analytics are not about perfect future outcomes; they are about analyzing historical and current data to project a likely future outcome." In particular, "it allows for sharing of output analytics to enable institutions to act... Implementing predictive analytics comes with a responsibility to define a process for appropriate and timely intervention responses." Stephen Downes points out that this is all "All fine, but this post elides the question of ownership. Analytics are discussed here exclusively in the institutional context, and without reference to the right of learners to know about and manage the employment and distribution of performance data.''
- How universities can use learning analytics to boost fair access and retention
May 18, 2017. An article from JISC staff members describing how the effective use of learning analytics data insights in access agreements can assist with access and retention.
- Articulating the connection between Learning Design and Learning Analytics
May 18, 2017. In this presentation the author starts from the statement that there is no such thing as a neutral design. In the era of increasing technology mediation learning experiences need to be designed considering the capacity to capture data, the possibility of making sense and derive knowledge from the data, and the need to act on that knowledge. the presenter explores some initiatives to make these connections explicit in a learning design. Using a flipped learning experience, the presenter explore how to embed data and data analysis as part of the design tasks.
- Dimensions of personalisation in technology-enhanced learning: A framework and implications for design: Dimensions of personalisation in TEL
May 18, 2017. The author, Rebecca Ferguson, proposes a framework for the analysis and creation of personalised TEL. This paper outlines and explains this framework with examples from a series of case studies which includes one on learning analytics. The framework serves as a valuable resource in order to change or consolidate existing practice and suggests design guidelines for effective implementations of future personalised TEL.
- Many Thousands Failed. A Wakeup Call to History Educators
May 15, 2017.
- Using #learningAnalytics to inform research and practice #educon17
Apr 26, 2017. A blog post on Dragan Graevics talk on Learning Analytics at the Educon2017
- UNESCO: Six ways to ensure higher education leaves no one behind
Apr 24, 2017. Unesco Policy Paper
- This Mathematician Brought Big Data to Advising. Then Deeper Questions Emerged.
Apr 24, 2017. An article describing how Tristan Denley, vice chancellor for academic affairs at the Tennessee Board of Regents, introduced an online course-recommendation tool called Degree Compass, a predictive analytics programme which is often compared to Netflix.
- The Future of Data Driven Decision making
Apr 18, 2017. How do we move to a data-led culture in UK research and education? The second in a series of reports to emerge from the JISC's horizon scanning project.
- Maths gets a makeover
Apr 16, 2017. An article which reports on the innovative work by the organisation Transforming Post-Secondary Education in Mathematics (TPSE), led by Peter Griffiths from the Institute of Advanced Study. Their aim is to to provide "mathematically rich and relevant education for all students, whatever their chosen field of study."
- Literature Survey on Educational Dropout Prediction
Mar 24, 2017. A journal article describing a study conducted in India which attempts to find the existing gaps in predicting educational dropout and to find the missing attributes if any, which may further contribute for better prediction.
- From “Data‐Driven” to “Democracy‐Driven” Educational Leadership: Navigating Market Bureaucracy and New Technology in a Post‐Fordist Era.” ( Kenneth J Saltman and AlexanderJ Means)
Mar 14, 2017. Chapter in "The Wiley International Handbook of Educational Leadership" which warns about the adoption of a Taylorism style of scientific management , rooted in a Positivist ideology, and which relies on a slavish adherence to High Stakes testing as part of the current Data-driven leadership style of educational management .
- Building the learning analytics curriculum: Should we teach (a code of) ethics?
Mar 13, 2017. LAK17 Workshop | Simon Fraser University | Vancouver, BC, Canada |March 13, 2017 - Authors: Paul Prinsloo (Unisa) and Sharon Slade (OU)
- Predictive Analytics in Higher Education
Mar 06, 2017. Five Guiding Practices for Ethical Use
- Students’ worry: education technology might predict failure before they have a chance to succeed
Mar 01, 2017. Predictive software is marketed as a way to help students before they fail, but some students see a potential downside
- SASSE Report 2016
Feb 02, 2017.
- Maintaining Momentum Toward Graduation: OER and the Course Throughput Rate
Jan 20, 2017. A summary of the research article published in The International Review of Research on Open and Distributed Learning. The article, “Maintaining Momentum Toward Graduation: OER and the Course Throughput Rate,” is open access and available on IRRODL’s website.
- Jisc briefing: Learning analytics and student success – assessing the evidence
Jan 15, 2017. This briefing summarises some of the published evidence for the effectiveness of learning analytics initiatives. It builds on the findings of our 2016 report “Learning Analytics in Higher Education: a review of UK and international practice”. 1
- Learning Analytics
Dec 27, 2016. A presentation by Marren Scheffel from the Open University
- Student Attitudes toward Learning Analytics in Higher Education: “The Fitbit Version of the Learning World”
Dec 19, 2016. The findings of this study highlight the need to engage students in the decision making process about learning analytics.
- A Partnership Between Advising and Academics: Best Practices for Student Support
Nov 24, 2016. The Doctor of Education (EdD) in Leadership program at City University of Seattle instituted an alternative advising program separating the roles of enrollment advising and academic advising. Faculty program directors are responsible for advising students regarding academic success and concerns while enrollment advisors provide support pertaining to administrative functions. This team approach to academic advising is associated with an average increase of 11 percent in the student satisfaction scores related to the overall advising experience.
- Student Motivation in Online Courses
Nov 24, 2016. This chapter in SUPPORTING THE SUCCESS OF ADULT AND ONLINE STUDENTS,looks into successful pedagogical strategies for administrators, curriculum designers, and faculty for the online environment.
- Delivering On the Promise: Structuring College Promise Programs to Promote Higher
Education Attainment for Students from Underserved Groups
Nov 24, 2016. One emerging strategy for increasing higher education attainment for people living in particular places is the “college promise” program. Over the last decade, but especially in the past few years, programs with the promise label have been advanced at the local, state, and federal levels. Whereas traditional financial aid programs award grants and loans to students who demonstrate financial need or meet academic criteria, promise programs target resources beyond state or federal aid to individuals who live in designated places, meet local- or state-defined eligibility criteria, and/or attend specific K–12 schools. The Kalamazoo Promise exemplifies this approach.
- The Promise and Peril of Predictive Analytics in Higher Education: A Landscape Analysis
Nov 23, 2016. A report from New America which examines the possibility of discriminatory approaches to students' degree and career goals, based upon analytical data. It reveals the potential gains and losses from institutions using predictive analytics as a support tool for low-income students.
- Analytics in Higher Education
Nov 23, 2016. Produced by Universities UK (UUK) and Civitas Learning, in partnership with Jisc, this report provides a concise summary of issues around policy context, strategic approaches, implementation challenges and casts its gaze on future perspectives of US and UK data analytics approaches.
- Decolonising the collection, analyses and use of student data: A tentative exploration/proposal
Nov 14, 2016. The latest blog post from Paul Prinsloo
- Mapping the ethical implications of using student data - A South African contextualized view.
Oct 28, 2016. Paul Prinsloo's presentation at the Ethics Symposium which was hosted by Saide as part of the Siyaphumelela project.
- Implications of the POPI Act on Student Data
Oct 27, 2016. Presentation by Dr. Divya Singh at the Ethics Symposium hosted by Saide on the 27th October 2016
- Excelsior Online Writing Lab(OWL) Information video for Educators
Oct 16, 2016.
- Predicting Success in Higher Education: The Value of Criterion and Norm-referenced Assessments
Oct 10, 2016. A paper by CETAP's Test Development Coordinator, Robert Prince, has been published: Prince, R. (2016) ‘Predicting Success in Higher Education: The Value of Criterion and Norm-referenced Assessments’, Practitioner Research in Higher Education Journal, 10(1), pp.22-38.
Important research inputs on #FeesMustFall
Sep 29, 2016. A blog post highlighting findings drawn from the Higher Education Access and Outcomes for the 2008 National Matric Cohort
- The Learning Analytics Roadmap: Get Your Organization Enthusiastic With Analytics Graphs For Moodle
Sep 29, 2016. Through the ROI on Analytics Pyramid, it is possible to assess the current level of analytics literacy of your organization. This is also a starting point if your organization is considering to add an analytics component to your learning intervention.
- Reducing Youth Unemployment in South Africa
Sep 28, 2016. This report, funded by The Rockefeller Foundation, highlights two cross-sectoral partnerships—the EOH Youth Job Creation Initiative and the Mentec Foundation—that have seen success in placing disadvantaged youth in jobs throughout South Africa. The report concludes with a table of recommendations for employers, training providers, philanthropic funders, and government officials to begin growing and replicating these efforts.
#FeesMustFall: Never waste a good crisis
Sep 27, 2016. VC, Max Price from UCT
- Where should the money come from for 'free' public higher education
Sep 27, 2016. A podcast from SAFM on Ahmed Bawa and Enver Motala's talk on free higher education .
- Promising Practices and Programs: Current Efforts and Future Directions
Sep 27, 2016. The final chapter of this book by Gloria Crisp provides a synthesis of the first 8 chapters, offers conclusions and recommendations and considers future directions regarding practices and programs with promise for high impact at community colleges around the country.
- Under-funding, not protests, is driving South African universities down global rankings
Sep 26, 2016. DVC, Danie Visser, University of Cape Town writes that it's unlikely that student protests are directly affecting South African universities' rankings. Instead, decades of government underfunding in higher education may be at least partly to blame
- A Framework for Open Assurance of Learning
Sep 06, 2016. In this paper, the authors describe an application called AOL Analyzer that we developed for our business school last year to assist in the analysis of Assurance of Learning (AOL) results reported by faculty.
- What Colleges Can Do Right Now to Help Low-Income Students Succeed
Aug 28, 2016. The article describe five lessons learnt from a study conducted in 2008 on about 3,000 Pell Grant recipients and which then went on to trace the journey of about 50 students throughout their campus days.
- Learning Analytics Roadmap: Where Can SmartKlass Take Your Moodle? [LAR Series #1]
Aug 23, 2016. A Moodle plugin that calculates basic activity and engagement metrics of students enrolled in a Moodle class or an institutional Moodle setup.
- Learner Analytics; The Need for User-Centred Design in
Aug 23, 2016. The authors propose that the only way of truly creating a personalised, supportive system of education is to place the learner at the centre, giving them control of their own Learner Analytics.
- Wits submits report on higher education funding
Aug 10, 2016. The University today made its submission to the Presidential Commission of Inquiry into Higher Education Funding.
- Universities may fall before fees do
Aug 10, 2016.
- And what about free higher education for all?
Aug 09, 2016. There is a meeting scheduled between Minister of Higher Education Blade Nzimande and university vice chancellors for Thursday. A group of university academics and activists have released a statement reminding the sector of the need to be wary of what will likely be discussed in the meeting.
- Estimating Student workload for your courses
Aug 09, 2016. A blog post which highlights the challenges educators face when creating syllabi and trying to estimate how much, reading , writing and other tasks to assign to each credit hour. The work of Rice University faculty is profiled to assist in this regard with an available online Course workload estimator. This can be found here: http://cte.rice.edu/workload
- Learning Analytics: Is data collection of students' learning habits Orwellian or simply helpful?
Aug 08, 2016. Some good references embedded in this article on the ethics of learning analytics.
- Fees Commission, Media Statement and schedule of public hearings.
Aug 08, 2016.
- Universities are tracking their students. Is it clever or creepy?
Aug 04, 2016. Learning analytics are becoming increasingly popular for improving learning and cutting drop-out rates – but critics question the impact on privacy.
- Adaptive Learners, Not Adaptive Learning
Jul 20, 2016. The latest blog by George Siemens on focussing on process attributes and not product skills.
- Challenges of transition from high school to university: an exploratory study of the Durban University of Technology
Jun 30, 2016. Paper presented by Ntuli, S. & Haffajee, F.
- Evaluating the use of summer and winter schools as part of a flexible curriculum to 'move the middle'
Jun 30, 2016. Paper presented by Kilfoil, W.R. & Mitchell, Y. from the University of Pretoria
- Is what we are doing helping our students succeed?
Jun 30, 2016. Paper presented by Hundermark, G. from the University of the Witwatersrand
- Overcoming Socio-Cultural Challenges to Students’ Success
Jun 30, 2016. Keynote address by Prof Yunus Ballim from Sol Plaatje University
- Risk Analysis and Detection in order to Assist and Retain Students (RADAR) at NMMU
Jun 30, 2016. Promising practices: Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University. Paper presented by Els, D. & Biggs, L. from
- Anatomy of A_STEP: Moving towards a sophisticated tutorial system
Jun 30, 2016. Promising practices: University of the Free State. Paper presented by Motsokobi, E.R. & Henn, M.
- The DUT Residence Educational Programme (REP): An Exploratory Analysis
Jun 30, 2016. Promising practices: Durban University of Technology . Paper presented by Ngwenya, T.
- Faculty Student Advisors
Jun 30, 2016. Promising Practices: University of Pretoria . Paper presented by Naidoo, A.
- Understanding students "as people in the world" through analytics.
Jun 30, 2016. Promising practices: University of the Witwatersrand. Paper presented by Masango, M. & Mapatagane, N.
- UKZN Cohort Model of Doctoral Supervision
Jun 30, 2016. Promising practices: University of Kwazulu Natal . Paper presented by Dhunpath, R. & Samuel, M.
- Career exploration meets mobile technology!
Jun 30, 2016. Paper presented by Lemmens, J. from the University of Pretoria
- Towards improved student access and success: application of artificial intelligence to facilitate effective academic programme management.
Jun 30, 2016. Paper presented by Rawatlal, R & Dhunpath, R. Durban University of Technology
- National Career Development Services - Coordination and Implementation
Jun 30, 2016. Paper presented by Mokeki,L. DHET
- The Inception of a National Conversation about the First-Year Experience (FYE)
Jun 30, 2016. Paper presented by Nyar, A from the South African National Resource Centre
- Using data to enhance the quality of teaching and learning and to improve academic staff development.
Jun 30, 2016. Paper presented by Strydom, J.F. & Hen-Boisen, L. University of the Free State
- General Education at DUT : Building a community of practice
Jun 30, 2016. Paper presented by Timm,D from Durban University of Technology
- Integrating and building our data for effective student support
Jun 30, 2016. Paper narrated by Dr Consuelo Boronat from Florida International University explores how we might build a data warehouse and analytics system to enable an effective South African data-driven student support approach.
- Video: Effective Academic Advising Informed by Data Analytics
Jun 30, 2016. Day 2 of the Siyaphumeleala conference (30th June 2016) opens with Dr.Allison Calhoun Brown from the Georgia State University and Prof. Francois Strydom from UFS describing the US perspective and the South African perspective, respectively, on academic advising and highlighting the recommendations that emerged from the workshop held on the 28th June 2016.
- Video: Perspectives from the USA's University Alliance, a SAn university & Siyaphumelela
Jun 30, 2016. The last keynote address on Day 2 of the Siyaphumelela Conference on the 30th June. This session on 'Building communities around student success' was facilitated by Mr William Moses and included the follwing speakers: Dr Matete Madiba Director: Student Affairs University of Pretoria; Ms Bridget Burns Founding Executive Director of the University Innovation Alliance and Ms Jenny Glennie Executive Director Saide
- Video: Student Insights on Promoting Student Success
Jun 30, 2016. A panel discussion of students from the participating universities of the Siyaphumelela project , sharing their insights on student success initiatives at their respective institutions . The discussants are as follows : Mr Lichaba Mooko, SRC (NMMU); Ms Kgalalelo Leeuw, Directorate of Institutional Research and Academic Planning (UFS); Mr Percy Phakathi, Student Affairs (UP) Mr Siphephelo Mthembu ,SRC Education and Transformation DUT; Mr Wayne Swart Student Representative (WITS) The session was facilitated by Mr Angelo Fick. Date: 30 June 2016
- Prestige and mistrust in public education drives more parents to private schools
Jun 30, 2016. "Latest statistics from the Department of Basic Education which, according to the Mail & Guardian’s calculations, shows that pupil enrolment at private schools increased by 58 463 between 2011 and 2014, from 479 958 to 538 421....." A new player in the private school sector, Sizwe Nxasana, who is also the chairperson of the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS), and his wife, Judy Dlamini, are planning to build a string of affordable, independent schools in the country and the rest of Africa." Read more
- Anti-democratic element in student movements holds warnings for South Africa
Jun 30, 2016. The author provides an analysis of the student movement and highlights a particularly authoritarian element within the movement , with its tendency to violent means as the only method of resistance, its concomitant race essentialist argument along with other strands that conspire to entrench this stance.
- Integrating and building our data for effective student support: a SA perspective by Prof Murray Leibbrandt
Jun 30, 2016. This presentation by Prof Murray Leibbrandt was presented at the workshop on the 28th June and as a Keynote address on the 30th June during the 14:15 - 15:20 session.
- Academic Advising: A “missing link” between access and success in South African higher education?
Jun 30, 2016. Presented by Dr. Francois Strydom
- Rethinking the student experience: a systematic approach to student success
Jun 30, 2016. Presentation by Dr. Tim Renick from Georgia State University
- Can data in a Learning Management System support student success?
Jun 30, 2016. Paper presented by Mr. D. Jordaan, University of Pretoria
- Evaluating the student interventions using predictive modeling and text mining methods at University of Witwatersrand
Jun 30, 2016. Paper presented by Mr. I. Mavura from the University of Witwatersrand
- An early warning system based on probabilistic distance clustering algorithm for student at risk detection
Jun 30, 2016. Paper presented by Ms.F. Matsebula from Sol Plaatje University
- Towards an understanding of Supplemental Instruction (SI) as a student academic development community of practice.
Jun 30, 2016. Paper presented by Mrs L.Smith from NMMU
- Using evidence to improve and support student transitions
Jun 30, 2016. Paper presented by Lauren Oosthuizen and Francois Strydom from UFS
- Re-imagining financing of higher education for poor and “missing middle” students–a public-private partnership.
Jun 29, 2016. Presentation by Dr. Sizwe Nxasana
- Growing Student Success
Jun 29, 2016. Presentation by Dr. Diane Parker, DDG (Universities Branch), DHET
- Video: Welcome and Context : 2nd Siyaphumelela Conference 2016
Jun 29, 2016. Day 1 Opening session Mr William Moses : Managing Director: Education,The Kresge Foundation and Ms Jenny Glennie, Executive Director, Saide open the 2nd Siyaphumelela Conference 2016
- Video: Overcoming socio-cultural challenges to students' success
Jun 29, 2016. 2nd Keynote address on Day 1 of the 2nd Siyaphumelela Conference. Dr. Shaun Harper from the University of Pennysylvania provides a US perspective on the matter of socio cultural challenges impacting on student success which is followed by the South African perspective, delivered by Prof Yunus Ballim from Sol Plaatje University. This session occurred on day 2 of the Siyaphumelela Conference on the 29th June 2016.
- Video: Leading Systemic Approaches to Enhance Student Support
Jun 29, 2016. The VCs' and DVC's of the participating institutions of the Siyaphumelela programme respond to questions on systemic approaches aimed at fostering student success. This session occurred on Day 1 ,at 16h40 on the 29th June at the 2nd Siyaphumelela 2016 Conference
- As Big Data Comes to College, Officials Wrestle to Set New Ethical Norms
Jun 28, 2016. Unfortunately this content is available exclusively to Chronicle subscribers. Posting this as an alert.
- Academic Advising Informed by Data Analytics: Linking High Tech with High Touch
Jun 28, 2016. Presentation by Dr. Allison Calhoun-Brown from Georgia State University.
- Systemic approaches to enhance student success : What are learning from the QEP?
Jun 28, 2016.
- Decolonising the curriculum: its time for a strategy
Jun 14, 2016. Suellen Shay, Dean and Assoc Professor at UCT, explores 6 challenges that Universities should tackle to ensure real change .
- Number of black students at tertiary institutions proportionally lower than other race groups: StatsSA
Jun 02, 2016. Although 68.5% of the students who were enrolled at higher education institutions were black‚ proportionally this group was under-represented, according to StatsSA from the findings from the General Household survey 2015.
- Using Data to improve Student Outcomes: Learning from Leading Colleges
May 23, 2016. A guide, produced by the Education trust, to inform university leaders and others steeped in efforts to raise graduation rates on their campuses. It highlights leading universities that have drastically improved student success by consistently reviewing and using their own data to launch campus-wide initiatives, focus the entire college community on student success, and remove stubborn obstacles that impede large numbers of low-income students and students of color from graduating college with a degree in hand.
- Decolonising universities isn’t an easy process – but it has to happen
May 23, 2016. "What is meant by decolonisation in South Africa’s current context? What should the process entail, especially in relation to the curriculum, teaching and learning? Universities are grappling with these and other questions on a number of platforms." Article explores the history of the decolonisation discourse and underscores the importance of the role of students in the decolonisation of knowledge.
- The Marketisation of Higher Education
May 12, 2016. A podcast site, sponsored by the ASAWU (Academic Staff Association of Wits University and dedicated to tackling the critical issues in Higher Educations. This podcast captures an interview with Prof. Salim Vally who describes the problem of the marketisation of higher education. Read Salim’s journal article titled ‘Higher Education: Market Mill or Public Good?’ and other scholarly papers here.
- Don’t Believe the Hype About Grit, Pleads the Scientist Behind the Concept
May 09, 2016. Angela Duckworth — the scientist behind the buzzy term 'grit' which is a combination of perseverance and passion — cautions against only focusing on perseverance on the part of the student as a measure of success whilst ignoring other aspects of nurturing the student on behalf of educators.
- University leaders as ‘meaning makers’
May 06, 2016. Universities globally are increasingly challenged by disruptive innovation that is revolutionary, unpredictable and moving at an unprecedented pace. In this context, universities have to navigate demands for ever-increasing scrutiny from funders, regulatory bodies and societal stakeholders to be accountable for achieving public good purposes such as promoting social justice and equality.
- The Chicago School
Apr 20, 2016. How Chicago elites imported charters, closed neighborhood schools, and snuffed out creativity.
- Responsible Use of Student Data
Apr 20, 2016. Martin Kurzweil of Ithaka S+R reports on his recent presentation at the Stanford Learning Summit 2016 on the national picture of "responsible use' of student data .
- Learning analytics in higher education
A review of UK and international practice.
Apr 19, 2016. This report documents the emerging uses of learning analytics in the United States, Australia and the United Kingdom. Through a series of eleven case studies it presents an overview of the evidence currently available of the impact that analytics are having on teaching and learning – and highlights some of the opportunities for the UK higher education sector.
- Higher Education during Apartheid
Apr 13, 2016. The historical background to fees-payable higher education in South Africa is explored in this podcast with Leigh-Ann Naidoo who talks about the distribution of resources during Apartheid and provides insight to the current situation on campuses .
- Proceedings of the 1st Learning Analytics for Curriculum and Program Quality Improvement Workshop
Apr 11, 2016. A collection of papers and workshop report that was hosted Learning Analytics and Knowledge (LAK) in Edinburgh, UK in April 2016.
- Affirming the Student Success Underground
Apr 04, 2016. An Inside Higher Ed article which highlights the student success efforts of veteran faculty staff and the need to reconcile these strategies with the emerging practices and data that are informing institutional strategies.
- The Panama Papers, Public Education and Democracy
Apr 04, 2016. Susan Robertson, University of Bristol elaborates on the latest leaks of the rich and the powerful and the impact that these avaricious antics have had on the public good, like education.
- National learning analytics service: could it feed into the TEF?
Mar 24, 2016. New 'world-first' Jisc project will allow students to compare their performance against their classmates'
- Here Be Dragons: Mapping Student Responsibility in Learning Analytics
Mar 17, 2016. This chapter argues that the issue is not whether higher education should use student data, but under which conditions, for what purpose, for whose benefit, and in ways in which students may be actively involved. The authors (Prinsloo, Paul and Slade, Sharon) explore issues including the constructs of general data and student data, and the scope for student responsibility in the collection, analysis and use of their data. An example of student engagement in practice reviews the policy created by the Open University in 2014. The chapter concludes with an exploration of general principles for a new deal on student data in learning analytics.
- Learning Analytics and Big Data: A tentative exploration
Mar 10, 2016. A presentation by Paul Prinsloo at the Apereo Africa Conference. Big Data – glimpses of what ‘it’ is, claims to be, where ‘it’ is going and dystopian dreams.
- Learning analytics and Big Data - a tentative exploration.
Mar 10, 2016. A presentation by Paul Prinsloo, at the Apereo Africa Conference, held in Pretoria early this year in March in which he describes the potential as well as cautioning about the perils of big data .
- Students question #RhodesMustFall
Feb 20, 2016. Article describing resident students views on the RhodesMustFall campaign.
- Education bill "will erode autonomy'
Feb 18, 2016. SA VC's concerned that HE Amendment Bill may encroach on autonomy especially during current times of student protests calling for radical change.
- Why universities need brave , bold leaders more than ever.
Feb 18, 2016. Heather Nel, Snr Director of Institutional Planning from our partner institution , NMMU, writes about transformational leadership and the need for safe spaces and authentic listening.
- The Problem With Evidence-Based Policies
Feb 16, 2016. Ricard Hausmann, Professor of the Practice of Economic Development at Harvard University critiques the 'gold standard' of Randomised Controlled Trials(RCT'S) in evidence based policy use.
- Analyzing Analytics at the University
Feb 14, 2016. A blog from Inside Higher Ed by Heather VanMouwerik who is a doctoral candidate in Russian History at the University of California, Riverside. She reflects on how analytics are being used to evaluate her work, her studies, and her students.
- Higher education bill may 'compromise institutional autonomy'
Feb 02, 2016. Read about the contentious Higher Education Amendment Bill in the recent public hearings hosted by Parliament’s portfolio commitee on higher education and training.
- Value-Added: How do you measure whether universities are delivering for their students? HEPI 2015 Annual Lecture
Jan 28, 2016. In this revised version of the 12th HEPI Annual Lecture, which was originally delivered in December 2015, Andreas Schleicher of the OECD makes a powerful case for directly measuring the learning gain of students on a comparable basis across the world for the first time.While recognising the technical challenges involved, the lecture argues this is now possible and, because the proxies for learning gain have such big problems, there is no substitute for starting to measure it directly.
- SASSE Report 2015
Jan 01, 2016. Promoting Access with Success for all students through engagement
- Doctoral Education in South Africa. Policy, Discourse and Data
Dec 01, 2015. An e-book by Nico Cloete, Johann Mouton and Charles Sheppard which draws on a large number of studies coducted by the the Centre for Higher Education Trust (CHET) and the Centre for Research on Evaluation, Science and Technology (CREST) over the past decade focussing on issues that affect the growth, efficiency, quality and transformation of the doctorate in South Africa.
- Code of Practice for Learning Analytics.
Oct 26, 2015. A literature review of the ethical and legal issues published by JISC. Author: Niall Sclater
- 2015 Second Higher Education Transformation Summit Documents
Oct 16, 2015. A list of all the documents and presentations that were used at the SA DHET summit hosted in October 2015
- A Manifesto for Learning Analytics in the Workplace (LAW)
Aug 18, 2015. A new policy paper published by LACE, that sets out how the EU should identify and cooperate with all the relevant stakeholders with the aim of identifying 21st century skills, improving the training provided to the existing workforce, and maintaining the equilibrium between the needs of industries and society.
- Data, Technology and the Great Unbundling of Higher Education
Aug 02, 2015. An article by the author of the book "College Disrupted: The Great Unbundling of Higher Education" i.e Ryan Craig and Allison Williams
- Effective academic advising strategies
May 12, 2015. This video begins the conversation on "What works in academic advising" with a review of six important general principles for improving learning.
- The Learning Analytics Review
May 06, 2015. The Learning Analytics Review is a series of articles and briefings for those working in the schools, workplace and higher education with an interest in the impact of learning analytics in the short to medium term.
- Building a Pathway to Student Success at Georgia State University.
Apr 23, 2015. A Case Study by Martin Kurzweil and D.Derek Wu published by ITHAKA S+R. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions regarding use of case study.
- Chasing the graduation dream
Aug 29, 2014. Local varsities are looking to the US and Scotland for tips to help more students succeed.
- Strategies to improve student retention, success
Aug 04, 2014. This is an excerpt from the June/July edition of the Community College Journal, published by the American Association of Community Colleges.
- Government's new plan for student success
Jul 11, 2014. The state's teaching development grants to universities are being wholly rethought.
- Learning analytics don't just measure students' progress - they can shape it
Mar 26, 2014. From online forum debates to predictive essay writing software, data showing how students learn can help universities adapt their teaching
- Open Data in the Governance of South African Higher Education
Jan 01, 2014. A report by van Schalkwyk, Francois, Wilmers Michelle, and Czerniewicz Laura , which describes how CHET'S online open data platform, that provides institutional-level data on South African higher education, is used.
- Annual Teaching and Learning Report 2014: Moving the needle towards success.
Jan 01, 2014. A report of all the succesful endeavours of the Centre for Teaching and Learning, University of the Free State.
- Student Access and Success: Issues and Interventions in South African Universities
Jan 01, 2014. The South African Institute for Advancement has published a comprehensive report into the key access and success challenges facing public higher education in South Africa. In-depth interviews were conducted with 18 of our 23 universities for the study funded by US-based Kresge Foundation. Report finds that a systemic change is needed to improve access and success at South African universities.
- Student Participation in Quality Assurance at the University of the Witwatersrand
Dec 01, 2013. Report on the perceptions of students on their participation in quality assurance at Wits 2013
- Improving the Quality and Productivity of the Higher Education Sector: Policy and Strategy for Systems-Level Deployment of Learning Analytics (2013)
Jan 01, 2013. A discussion paper authored by George Siemens, Shane Dawson and Grace Lynch from the Society for Learning Analytics Research which responds to the high level of investment, higher education leaders are currently making in data analytics.
- Cutting Edge Series 3: Building Institutional Capacity for Data-Informed Decision Making
Jan 20, 2012. This publication is the third installment of the Cutting Edge series, which aims to help colleges engage faculty, scale successful interventions, and create a strong culture of evidence through use of data to strengthen their institutional change and student success efforts.
- Channeling Change: Making Collective Impact Work.
Jan 01, 2012. An in-depth look at how organizations of all types, acting in diverse settings, are implementing a collective impact approach to solve large-scale social problems. BY FAY HANLEYBROWN, JOHN KANIA, & MARK KRAMER.
- Weaving Success: Voices of Change in African Higher Education (2011)
Jan 01, 2011. This publication centers on nine countries whose universities received support from the Partnership for Higher Education in Africa: Egypt, Ghana, Kenya, Madagascar, Mozambique, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania, and Uganda. It weaves together voices from people in these countries who used this support to bring about transformative changes at their respective universities
- Public Universities Seek to Redesign First-Year Experience
The project is aimed at improving college completion rates, with a particular eye at helping low-income and first-generation college students, as well as members of minority group, through several proven methods of improving student retention and success.
- A Moment of Clarity on the Role of Technology in Teaching
With all of the discussion around the role of online education for traditional colleges and universities, over the past month we have seen reminders that key concerns are about people and pedagogy, not technology. And we can thank two elite universities that don’t have large online populations — MIT and George Washington University — for this clarity.