Siyaphumelela 2018 Conference Call for Proposals
The Siyaphumelela team is pleased to announce the call for proposals for our 2018 Conference to be held at the Wanderers in Johannesburg from the 12 to 14 June. As with previous years, the conference will host experts from both the international community as well as local role players to discuss the use of data analytics to support student success. We invite presentation proposals on the ethical use of student data related to the design of learning activities, academic advising, leadership and innovation to improve student success. Important dates for the conference are as follows:
- Call for proposals: 1 February - 1 April 2018
- Notification of Acceptance: 24 April 2018
- Registration: 1 April -14 May 2018
The submission will be reviewed by a panel of international and national reviewers who will consider the following criteria when evaluating the proposal abstracts:
- An explicitly stated main objective or rationale (i.e. a description of the problem that was addressed in the study).
- An outline of the methodology.
- A description of the intervention or project.
- The study's results.
- A conclusion, if any.
Maths Pathways Workshop
At the Siyaphumelela 2017 conference Dr. Bernadine Fong and Prof. Andre Freeman presented a keynote entitled “Getting ideas into action – the Pathways Instructional system” (available on our Youtube channel). They presented an alternative approach to teaching mathematics that makes use content relevant and useful to students and group work. The demonstrated that this approach greatly improved student mathematical proficiencies. In the subsequent discussion between the keynote speakers and the audience, it was suggested that a working group be established to address issues raised and to consider how the pathways approaches, successfully used in USA community colleges, could be implemented within a South African context.
- The case of a student support initiative by a student success programme at the University of Witwatersrand
- EXTENDED deadline! Call for applications for evaluation of the Siyaphumelela Project
- Reflections on Siyaphumelela Conference 2017
- Siyaphumelela Conference 2017 underway
- Invitation to collaborate on research with UMALUSI: NSC Results as Predictors of Success
- Vacancies at SALDRU
- Saide Site visits to Wits and NMMU
- Understanding First-Year Student Success based on School and Home Background
- Ethics Symposium Oct 2016
- Siyaphumelela 2016 goes deeper in Durban
- Feedback from first-year undergraduate students -The Wits experience
- Achieving the Dream support
- Using evidence to improve and support student transitions at the University of the Free State.
- Siyaphumelela Conference 2016 presentations and videos now available
- Resources from the February 2016 visit of the Siyaphumelela partners to GSU and Achieving the Dream conference
- South African Higher Education Dreaming!
- Reconceptualising equality and equity in relation to student success
- Siyaphumelela Conference 2016
- Learning Analytics for the Global South
Mar 08, 2018. A downloadable collection which considers how the use of data about learners and their contexts have the potential to broaden access to quality education and improve the efficiency of educational processes and systems.
- To What Extent and Under Which Circumstances Are Growth Mind-Sets Important to Academic Achievement? Two Meta-Analyses
Mar 05, 2018. The studies examined the relationship between mind-set and the effectiveness of mind-set interventions on academic achievement and potential moderating factors and concludes that the effect is weak.
- How Class and Social Capital Affect University Students
Mar 06, 2018. This is an edited abstract from “Going to University: The influence of Higher Education on the lives of young South Africans” (2018) Case, J., Marshall, D., McKenna, S. & Mogashana, D. African Minds.
- Without Addressing Basic Needs, Student Success Strategies Fall Short
Feb 23, 2018. An article describing the student success initiatives aimed at presented at the Achieving the Dream conference that took place in Nashville in February 2018.
- Special Report: Missing skills: Is Higher Education On The Mark?
Mar 06, 2018. This report on the Malaysian higher education system which examines the skills shortage and describes the Malaysia Education Blueprint 2015-2025 (Higher Education) outlining 10 shifts that are designed to transform the higher education.
- Fee-Free Education Isn’t Enough
Mar 02, 2018. An opinion piece by Thashlin Govender from the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation in South Africa exhorting funders to continue supporting students for university completion.
- The 2018 Trends Report
Mar 04, 2018. The report describes 10 key shifts in higher education that innovative college leaders are responding to in imaginative ways.
- Data Scientists in Demand
Mar 04, 2018. A 'Premium content' article from the Chronicle of Higher Education which describes the skill of data analytics as being one that is in high demand.
- Predicting student retention at community colleges
Feb 20, 2018. A report describing student satisfaction and the importance of college environment variables as predictors of spring-to-spring retention.
- Learning Analytics
Dec 27, 2016. A presentation by Marren Scheffel from the Open University
- Learning Analytics Report Card
This project asks: ‘How can University teaching teams develop critical and participatory approaches to educational data analysis?’ It seeks to develop ways of involving students as research partners and active participants in their own data
- Digital Ethics Lab
Based at Oxford University, the lab seeks to tackle the ethical challenges posed by digital innovation. The goal is to identify the benefits and enhance the positive opportunities of digital innovation as a force for good, and avoid or mitigate its risks and shortcomings.
- Carnegie Maths Pathways
A website dedicated to the Carnegie Math Pathways which allows one to sign up as an Explorer to learn more about their approach and impact, review their curriculum and instructor resources, and more.
- Higher Education Data Analyser
HEMIS Data presented through a dashboard
- Student Success Plan (SSP)
SSP is designed to improve retention, academic performance, persistence, graduation rates, and time to degree. The open source SSP case management software supports a holistic coaching and counseling model which expedites proactive interventions for stude
- Council on Higher Education (CHE)
The Council on Higher Education (CHE) is an independent statutory body established in May 1998 in terms of the Higher Education Act (Act No 101 of 1997),and it functions as the Quality Council for Higher Education in South Africa.
- Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET)
The Department of Higher Education was created in 2009 and is responsible for tertiary education, post-schooling and skills development in South Africa.
- Data Analysis and Data Visualisation Resources (OER Commons)
ISKME created OER Commons, launched in 2007, to support and build a knowledge base around the use and reuse of open educational resources (OER). As a network for teaching and learning materials, the site offers engagement with resources for curriculum ali
- Next Generation Learning - Resources on Learning Analytics
Next Generation Learning Challenges is a collaborative, multi-year initiative created to address the barriers to educational innovation and tap the potential of technology to dramatically improve college readiness and completion in the United States. This
- Learning and Knowledge Analytics Course Site
This site is devoted to learning and knowledge analytics – a growing area of interest to educators, administrators, and entrepreneurs.
MonCivitas Learning Summit
WedSAAIR - Learner Analytics Foundations & Institute 2018
Tue6th SAERA Conference 2018
North West University
TueSiyaphumelela Conference 2018
MonDigital Pedagogy Lab
University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, Virginia, Washington
Fri13th International Conference on e- Learning
Cape Peninsula University Of Technology, Cape Town, South Africa